Sunday, July 28, 2013

Why Wake Early for Fitness?

As most of you know, Ladies Gun Club is held at 7 am three days a week, and when people hear what time it's held at, the first question they ask is usually, "Why so early?"

We all have our own reasons for getting up and getting going at different times, but some of us are inclined more toward the early morning than others. Before you sell yourself short and say, "But I'm not a morning person..." I assure you that I'm not naturally a morning person either, and a lot of the time, choosing to be feels totally counter-intuitive, but the benefits of working out early in the morning greatly outweigh the initial discomfort of rolling out of bed before I'm ready.

My reasons for working out early:
1. I like working out early because by the time I finish at 8 am, I still have time to enjoy a relaxing morning before beginning my work day. If it weren't for boot camp, I might just start making coffee at 8 or 9 and then next thing you know, it's time to get ready for work
2. I start the day with self care. Beginning the day by doing something really healthy and good for you that doesn't involve thinking about taking care of anybody else really sets a positive tone for the rest of the day. We all need a little 'me' time, but with kids and bosses and pets, it's difficult to prioritize without a goal that gives you a little accountability. Signing up and committing to something like boot camp definitely provides the accountability I need
3. No matter what I'm in the mood to eat, I know that I've jumpstarted my metabolism and that anything I eat will be put to better use than if I was just sitting around. You burn more calories and for longer after a workout with the LGC.

Boxing Scene's #5 reason for working out early is:
If you exercise at about the same time every morning, and ideally wake-up at about the same  time on a regular basis, your body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms adjust to that. Physiologically, some wonderful things begin to happen; A couple of hours *before* you awaken, your body begins to prepare for waking and exercise because it "knows" it's about to happen. Why? Because it "knows" you do the same thing just about everyday. You benefit from that in several ways

 TESTIMONIAL:
Ladies Gun Club is great because it creates easy to manage goals and accountability. Each boot camp is a month long with a week off in between and that works great for me because I am able to set a realistic and achievable goal for myself: work out 3 times a week at 7 am for 4 weeks. That's only 12 work outs. After a few weeks like this, I start to automatically wake up early and even if it's not a 'work out' morning, I have begun to think about the extra time I have before work as an opportunity to relax, spend time with the dog, or catch up on some reading--all things that make me happier and healthier.
                                                           --Ryan-Ashley Anderson

What are your reasons for working out early in the morning? Comment below to weigh in!

2 comments:

  1. Those are all great reasons for getting in the morning 'groove'. Can you write some tips for how to change your habits?

    ReplyDelete